From Trammell Hudson's Projects
- Download simh and build it:
mkdir simh cd simh unzip ~/Downloads/simhv39-0.zip make
- Download a RT-11 disk image, such as RT11 v4
tar zxvf ~/Downloads/rt11swre.tar.Z
- Other distributions: http://classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-11/dists/
- Run the PDP-11 simulator, attach the disk image and boot the system:
~/simh$ ./BIN/pdp11 PDP-11 simulator V3.9-0 sim> attach rk0 ./Disks/rtv4_rk.dsk sim> boot rk RT-11SJ V04.00C .D 56=5015 .TYPE V4USER.TXT Welcome to RT-11 Version 4. RT-11 V04 provides new hardware support and some major enhancements over Version 3B. Please use the HELP command; it describes the new options in many of the utilities. If you are using a terminal that requires fill characters, modify location 56 with a Deposit command before proceeding with system installation. LA36 DECwriter II and VT52 DECscope terminals do NOT require such modification. .D 56=0 .
There are no directories in RT-11, although there are devices. To change the default device, reassign the device name DK: to another physical device:
ASSIGN RK1: DK:
- Building FORTRAN IV and ADVENT are covered in advent
- Use PC: device to copy files in using the paper tape reader (ptr) and out with the paper tape punch (ptp):
sim> attach ptr /tmp/input.txt sim> c .COPY PC: INPUT.TXT Files copied: PC: to DK:INPUT.TXT
sim> attach ptp /tmp/output.txt sim> c .COPY OUTPUT.TXT PC: Files copied: DK:OUTPUT.TXT to PC:
Unix on the PDP-11/34
According to this forum post, the PDP-11/34 did not have separate I&D and could not run normal Unix v7, only Digital's special v7m. However, these instructions seem to work on the simulated /34, including the boot loader code to read from the tape. Perhaps the RK05 image can be transferred to a real RK05 and booted.